We recently became empty-nesters (it happens quickly so enjoy while you can) with a Freshman at LSU and a Sophomore at Rice University. What do you do when you become empty nesters? You get a dog! My husband and I were blessed to rescue our 1-year-old Mondo from the S.A.F.E. Refuge of Central Texas in Austin last December. Mondo is goofy and sweet with lots of energy. We have become dog park people now and want to share what we have found so far in our great city of Houston for our furry family members.
- Levy Park – a great park with food/adult beverage options while you walk around plus play area and playground for kids. The dog park is smaller than most and separated for larger dogs and smaller dogs. If you have a large dog that likes to run, not the right spot, but otherwise a great. option! https://www.levyparkhouston.org/visit/
- Johnny Steele Dog Park at Buffalo Bayou – Parking is a challenge but worth it as there is a ton of room to run and water to splash in. You can make a day of it walking the bayou and trails. Be sure to bring a towel for the ride home. https://buffalobayou.org/visit/destination/buffalo-bayou-park/
- Ervan Chew Park – 4502 Dunlavy – Park is 9000 square feet of space for dogs to run in a fenced-in area with easy parking. Located by a baseball field, basketball court, park and splash area if you wanted to picnic and make a day of it.
- Danny Jackson Family Dog Park – Close and plenty of room to run but tends to be crowded at times. Large dogs and small dogs are separated. https://www.pct3.com/Parks/Danny-Jackson-Family-Dog-Park
Also awesome walks for kids & dogs:
- Willow Waterhole – Truly a hidden secret – http://www.willowwaterhole.org
- Memorial Park Eastern Glades – Amazing! – https://www.memorialparkconservancy.org/discover/master-plan/eastern-glades/
- Brays Bayou – Good ol’ standby on beautiful days – https://houstonparksboard.org/about/brays-bayou
Go outside and enjoy the amazing Houston spring weather!
Article contributed by Stormy Hayes-Knipe, a successful Houston Realtor with Martha Turner Sotheby’s International Realty. With more than 18 years in the Real Estate industry, Stormy’s comprehensive market knowledge, combined with her energy, dedication, and unwavering positive attitude, has placed her in the Martha Turner Sotheby’s International Realty Circle of Excellence and was recently awarded 2020 Top 10 Producer.
Mondo enjoying a sunny day at Levy Park