Adventure is calling… from somewhere snuggled between the Carribean and Pacific Oceans – Costa Rica! We love a good all-inclusive resort (and kids under 6 are free – yes please?!).
The Marriott Los Suenos is 60 miles which is about a $150 taxi ride from San Juan Airport. There was enough to do there that we would have stayed on property the entire time. The oceanfront pool was the hub offering activities like s’mores, crafts, games, and a movie in the pool every night. If we went again I would request a first-floor room overlooking the pool for easy back and forth to the action. If you want some adult time they offer a kids camp for all ages (and its included – YES!!).
Days can be spent enjoying the spa, golfing, deep sea fishing, snorkeling, surfing, river rafting, zip lining, sailing, and kayaking plus countless other Costa Rican adventures are all easily accessible and can be arranged by the concierge (we did upon arrival, but perhaps book ahead if you can).
There are five restaurants at the hotel or you can walk the charming tree-lined “tunnel” to the marina village for even more dining options and an ice cream shop we frequented.
A guided walking tour through Manuel Antonio State Park was a hit. We saw bats, iguanas, monkeys, deer, toucans, parrots, and a SLOTH! You can walk through on your own but the guide can point all of the animals out to you that you likely would not see on your own. The tour ended at their beautiful beach with charming little monkey thieves trying to grab your snacks. Good thing they are cute!
Horse back riding was a hit with the kids ages 4 and 7. It meandered through the rainforest where you enjoyed a little play time at a waterfall with a sliding rock. (Wear water shoes) Made for a really awesome family day. The new IphoneX being waterproof and a camera came in quite handy!
What we packed:
- Casual Clothes. Nothing too fancy here. They do offer laundry service at the hotel in case you want to travel light.
- Bathing suits
- Light raincoat
- Sturdy sneakers or sandals that you don’t mind getting wet for the waterfalls. I know they aren’t cute but you will be so happy to have them.
- Sundress with sandals and bag for evening
- Family Medical Kit – we made ours with bandages, treatments for tummy issues, and more. Didn’t need it but still nice to have items you are familiar with.
- Snorkel gear if you plan on that
- Day/Beach Tote – we are obsessed with these – aren’t they adorable? They hold up great too. I took mine as a carry on. All of the below fit in.
- Bug Repellent
- Sunblock – we like the ThinkSport products. For some reason sunblock was super expensive in Costa.
- Towel – While the resorts have them if you go off on your own it is nice to have one to take with you. We take some of these quick dry ones wherever we go. They barely take up any room.
- Phone and Phone charger (make sure to check your international plan, the wifi worked great on property)
- A good book
- Kids goggles
- Reusable water bottles
- Snacks and games for the flight
- Wet/Dry Bags