Motherhood often means sacrificing style in the name of practicality or utility. From driving carpool to hosting sleepovers and family gatherings at home, children often change the way we buy items that once showcased our individuality and style. As a mom, I understand there’s more to think about before splurging on yourself; however, a handbag can be a timeless purchase that combines both fashion and function.
I find it helpful to keep the following elements in mind if you’re in the market for treating yourself:
- Handbags are a great way to show off your personal style. If you’re looking to wear the latest trends, opt for fringe, embellishments and large hardware. Personalization is so in right now; whether it be adding your initials to a handbag or even a portrait of your furry friend. Selecta more classic handbag if you are looking for a long-termpurchasethat will never go out of style.Remember: style is forever; trends are only temporary. Make sure your choices are something you will continue loving long after your purchase.
- The handbag you’ll take to the grocery store is different fromthe handbag you’ll take ondate night. When purchasing a luxury handbag, think about how and when you’re going to use it. For everyday use, think totesthat can “catch all”of your personal belongings. For evening, think mini bagsthat are just big enough to hold your cell phone, wallet and your favorite lip gloss.
- Think of your wardrobe. Are you all black, all year? Or bright and colorful, all the time?Keep your closet in mind when purchasing a handbag and select onethat will complement your itemsbest. Keep in mind that some colors are better suited for certain seasons, but a black bag can be carried year-round (without fear of easily showingdirt and imperfections).
- Although personal taste and style should be at the forefront of this purchase, functionality must be considered when buying a handbag. Think about your routineand what you do and need on a daily basis.What kind of handbag best suits those needs? From totes and backpacks to belt bags and wristlets, there’s an option for everyone’s day to day needs. Something to keep in mind is durability and how the bag opens and closes. I feel more secure running errands with a zipper closure, but if I am going out to an evening event, I’ll opt for a button closure if needed.
- Always keep in mind, you get what you pay forwhen buying a luxury handbag. While the price tags might be higher, the quality of the handbag will be just as high and is a worthy investment as designer handbags are pieces that can last a lifetime and be passed down for generations.