Did you know that martial arts training can aid in your child’s psychological, physical and behavioral development?
When I started my son at Elite MMA last August, I had no idea of the incredible benefits the training would provide. At the time I was just trying to find an afterschool activity that would meet his physical needs and thought he might learn a thing or two about self-defense. We had looked at other martial arts options and decided to do a free lesson/assessment with Elite MMA to see if he would be interested.
The first thing I noticed was how loving the MMA coaches were (which might sound like an oxymoron = loving MMA Coach?) but it was true, the years of experience working with children made a quick positive impact with my son. As a mom, his safety and happiness are always at the forefront of every decision, not only did he have a blast at his first assessment, he even learned a couple quick self-defense moves! The training he has received in the past 7 months has been nothing short of incredible. Below are the top benefits he and his peers are receiving through the training at Elite MMA classes for kids.
- Self-Defense: One of the basic and obvious reasons why parents encourage their children to learn martial arts is self-defense, protecting themselves against any unanticipated danger. Elite MMA’s instructors promote non-violent resolutions to conflict, helping children to better understand conflict and to be prepared.
- Boosts Health and Physical Fitness: Physical fitness is another benefit as the training helps strengthen the muscles of growing kids. Heart disease begins to develop in children as young as two years old. In the U.S., 50% of children ages 5 to 8 already show at least one heart disease risk factor; 50% have high blood cholesterol and up to 80% will carry it into adult life. Through the drills in the first half of the class, learning techniques in the second half of the class and even playing a quick game at the end, all promote exercise and core strength.
- Self Confidence: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu increases children’s self-confidence in a safe, team-oriented environment. Elite MMA offers an anti-bullying program that nurtures this confidence with an emphasis on humility, respect, honesty, integrity, and strong work ethic.
- Discipline – Martial arts training demands the disciplining of one’s mind and body which can carry over to academics and extra-curricular activities. The most impactful lesson for kids to learn early is self-discipline. Kids will experience challenges that are designed to strengthen their characters, how to follow rules and respect time. I have personally been thrilled with this benefit because it is something that’s very important to me and wonderful to see being taught to my son.
- Social Skills: Martial arts classes require children to work in a team environment and deal with other children of different ages, therefore building social skills with younger and older kids. They learn to cooperate and understand team behavior, as well as the opportunity to socialize with kids from different backgrounds. This exposure promotes healthy social development early while gaining memorable interactions.
- Resolves Conflicts: Since kids from different backgrounds come to learn under one roof, the trainers promote compassion, leadership, and sharing. Kids will learn how to resolve conflicts and work with others harmoniously.
- Teaches Respect: The class requires the students to show respect towards their coaches and to respect authority by calling them “Sir/Ma’am”. They also learn to be polite, humble and develop humility. Young students are treated with the same respect as adults and are taught to return that respect to others. Elite MMA believes in praise, encouragement and positive reinforcement!
- Imparts Anti-Bullying Education: Elite MMA’s anti-bullying program was created by the head children’s instructor who worked for ten years in counseling. Elite encourages parents to work together with their children to help them maximize their “being” of a true martial artist of humility, respect, honesty, integrity, and strong work ethic.
To schedule a private instruction/assessment CLICK HERE
About Elite MMA – Co-owners Hai Nguyen and Eric Williams pride themselves on having among the nicest facilities in the country combined with a large staff of highly experienced instructors. They have multiple locations in the greater Houston area with classes for men, women and kids. Their programs include mixed martial arts, kickboxing, Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu and more. Inside and outside the school, they strive to follow the Golden Rule: “Treat others like you would like to be treated”. With this philosophy, they minimize injuries, develop friendships and grow together.